pneu*mat*ic (adjective) 
1 : of, relating to, or using gas (as air or wind): 
     a : moved or worked by air pressure 
     b (1) : adapted for holding or inflated with compressed air 
        (2) : having air-filled cavities 
2 : of or relating to the pneuma. spiritual 
3 : having a well-proportioned feminine figure; especially : having a full bust 
fe*tish (noun)
1 a : an object of irrational reverence or obsessive devotion 
b : an object or bodily part whose real or fantasied presence 
is psychologically necessary for sexual gratification and that is 
an object of fixation to the extent that it may interfere with 
complete sexual expression
2 : a rite or cult of fetish worshipers

Turbo Boost

APC caching is installed. The difference in performance is barely noticeable, but it's there. It'll make a lot more impact when the site actually has more than one user on it.

Also took the opportunity to do some database cache tuning. Again, I'll have to revisit once there's some traffic load on. But it's good practice.

And now, 5.3

Yet another minor version update. This one was painless, not even any database updates.

I'm mildly disheartened that Drupal 6 is already in beta and I haven't launched on 5 yet. Although I know it's not that big a deal. When I started on this and 5 was in beta, it took a long time for the modules to catch up. If I switched to 6 now, it would be another year to get to where I am now, and that wouldn't be good.

Accessibility

Alright, getting back on track.

Tested out the Taxonomy Access Control module. It's probably much more useful for sites that want finer grained control, but I had trouble getting it to do what I wanted. I almost got there, but was thwarted by a problem that turned out to be not at all TAC's fault.

Note to Drupal admins: a role must have the "View uploaded files" permission enabled in order to be able to see pictures if you're using the private file storage method..

Rollin' in my 5.2

Upgrade Drupal to version 5.2.

Security updates, plus an update that should make the Chatroom module work.

Mass Effect

Finally got out the last of the kinks that were preventing me from using Acidfree and the Links module.

The Links module wasn't building several of the required tables. Still don't' know why. Building them manually makes things work, and now that it's installed it shouldn't' be a problem.

More importantly, I've got mass importing working for Acidfree. Really, the main thing it has going for it over the regular image import is recursiveness. I won't have to import each subdirectory individually. That will be quite spiffy.

Capitulation

A while back, I got tired of wrestling with PostgreSQL. Maybe someday, when the module support is better, I'll go back to it. But, after dedicating an evening to working out the kinks and peculiarities, I managed to hack a solution that got the work I'd done so far out of PostreSQL and into a MySQL database.

Masochism

There were reasons why I chose PostgreSQL as the database on which to build this site. I seem to remember they were good reasons, but they're escaping me now.

Officially, Drupal supports PostgreSQL, and all of the core modules do flawlessly. It's the contrib modules that are presenting a problem. And there are a lot of them. Most of them fall into the category of "nice to have", but there are a few that would qualify as "needed" or what I want to do.

Story Archive Complete

It's done. All of the stories from the old archive have been transferred to the new one. Whew, 200+ total. Now I'll probably chase down a few stragglers that never made it in originally.

Search Rocks

OK, maybe it's because I've never actually been impressed by the various CMS search mechanisms before. TikiWiki was slow, CPGNuke is slow and often times out on me. Neither of them had a built-in mechanism for searching custom content. But Drupal handles searching the custom fields I've added to the book module just fine, and does so reasonably quickly.

Granted, it's only in test mode with a hundred items so far, but I'm still quite pleased that I've got full text indexing going on.

Frustration

I decided to go with PostgreSQL rather than MySQL for this iteration of the site for various reasons that I'm sure you won't find interesting. Drupal is usually deployed on MySQL, but Postgres is supported. It's not a problem for the core modules, but other modules often have issues. Not as many people on Postgre means fewer testers, means problems are less likely to be caught.

Syndicate content